For the past four weeks 10Best readers have been voting daily for their favorites, and in the end it was Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma that came out on top.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Place to See Wildlife are as follows:
- Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge – Oklahoma
- Yellowstone National Park – Montana, Wyoming
- Wind Cave National Park – South Dakota
- Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge – Colorado
- Denali National Park – Alaska
- Rocky Mountain National Park – Colorado
- Blue Ridge Parkway – North Carolina, Virginia
- Grand Teton National Park – Wyoming
- Glacier National Park – Montana
- Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge – Alaska
A panel of experts picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts David Houghton (National Wildlife Refuge Association), Matt Johnson (National Audubon Society) and David Mizejewski (National Wildlife Federation) were chosen based on their extensive knowledge of American wildlife.
Other nominees for Best Place to See Wildlife included Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska, Becharof National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska, Big Bend National Park in Texas, Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge in New Mexico, Bracken Bat Cave in Texas, Cranberry Wilderness in West Virginia, Joshua Tree National Park in California, National Elk Refuge in Wyoming, Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge in Texas and the Sky Islands in Arizona.